Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Thought on Modules

As a student I struggle with the system of "module" learning. It's too chaotic and unpredictable for me, and i've always felt that the teacher was too far away for effective instruction so I just had to make up want he or she wanted. I struggle with all of the same things as a teacher, but I now see that there are things that make module-learning better. The main bonus of module learning is that it's easier on the budget. Rather than having a classroom set of hardware or software, you may only need 3 or 4 seats, making modules more affordable. Having discovered this, I've decided to set for myself some perimeters on how to most effectively teach in modules.

#1-- Give adequate instruction.

I've never been one to read directions or even to read through a packet or textbook to figure out how to use something. If I was learning how to use a robot I just pushed buttons until it worked. I hated modules because usually packets are your only source of information for any given unit. I would want to give adequate classroom instruction time before the class breaks up into groups just to use other teaching styles to help students understand the material and what is expected of them

#2--Checking For Understanding

Along with worksheets that are well-written to be sure that students understand key principles, I feel that my involvement would be essential in the modules. I would want to be actively roaming and checking up on students and their projects just to be sure they are not completely off course. IT would certainly be helpful if I could get other student TA's to do the same thing. I think that student TAs are much underused in schools and that they should be expected to help other students rather than simply play games or do homework during their help time. If they want it on their resumé, they should have to work for it.

#3-- Student Sharing

I think one thing that would greatly help students' understanding is to turn each module into a 3-person problem by having me first teach toe module and then have each group share something, a "learning secret" that helped them accomplish the module. This gives the students an opportunity to be proud of their work and to teach one another. It would be helpful to encourage the groups to ask groups that have already done that module for help, if they get stuck.



I think these things would help me more effectively use the necessary evil of modules in teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment