Friday, October 21, 2011

The Promotion of Independent Learning

I was really fascinated that Lindsay was able to use the simple idea of going back to the future mixed with a few old ads from the 80's to put a desire to learn in me. Before that day I hadn't had any desire to see old commercials or even to figure out how much various products would have been in a certain decade. After having this promotion of my own learning kindled within myself I wondered how to put such a practice into action myself, as a teacher. After much pondering, this is what I've decided you need to perform the following steps:

1)Be excited. No one will be interested in Bubblicious if you aren't yourself. Sell your topic.
2)Show applications to the topic in pop culture, media and practical application.
3)Teach in such a way that there are open-ended questions that naturally occur inside the learner. For example, a student will be more likely to identify with and autonomously research electromagnets if the end of the lesson steers toward the question "How could YOU use an electromagnet to simplify your life?" rather than the question "What is an electromagnet". In order to answer the first question you have to understand the second question.

In the long run, presentation is key, but the depth of question is the solution. I think that as I develop more lesson plans I'll have to build them around the question that I want the students to naturally wonder at the end. Insodoing I think I can increase the autonomy of learning in my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment