Thursday, September 22, 2011

Building Bridges Across Learning Styles

Last week I learned something very interesting about my learning style. As Geoff taught about the various philosophers he organized them on the board under their respective fields: constructivism, behaviorism or cognitivism. The following week, he did the same thing, but he inadvertently switched their locations on the board. My visual/spatial awareness was thrown out of whack and for a brief moment I was panicked as to how to effectively take notes.

The thing that really surprised me was that I actually thought to myself, "Don't panic, just take a new set of notes and make a mental note that these two things switched." I had to remind myself that I was a responsible adult and that I could find a way to avert disaster.

It's important that teachers use a variety of teaching techniques in order to reach a greater number of students. I think that it is equally important to also instruct students on how to adapt an teaching style to their own needs. Helping students to build bridges from one learning style to another will help them know how to cope with situations in which their particular learning style is not being utilized. Because I had had ample opportunity to build those bridges, I as able to overcome the visual hardship and continue learning virtually uninterrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment